The Corner Award was launched in 2016 as a way to celebrate great Australian artists who are breaking the mold and doing exciting things with their music. The 2018 longlist is a testament to the diversity of the Australian music scene and the unique contribution that contemporary artists are making to a broad spectrum of genres across the country.
Inaugural recipient SAMPA THE GREAT played to a sold-out crowd in 2016 with Remi and Baro supporting. 2017 recipients, CABLE TIES, hosted the Cable Ties Ball complete with a lineup of incredible artists Miss Blanks, Habits, The Dacios, Eat-Man, Simona, Miss Destiny and more to a sold-out crowd.
Experts from different facets of the music industry were invited to come together and curate a list of innovative artists, rather than selection via an arduous application process. The Brains Trust delved into their vast musical knowledge, frequent show attendance and understanding of the current Australian music scene to choose and support artists that are doing exciting things.
2017 CORNER AWARD RECIPIENT
- A headline show at the Corner Hotel (including production & promotion)
- Pressing of 150 copies of a limited edition 7” vinyl single
- A cash cheque of $2000
- Pre-production time at Bakehouse Studios prior to the show
- $1000 towards artwork costs from Mushroom Publishing
- 2 week poster run from Plakkit
- Full page ad package from Beat
- 50 free tshirts from Sound Merch
- 3 full off peak rehearsal sessions (6 hours) at Bakehouse Studios – all backline & storage included.
- Portrait session with Ian Laidlaw
THE 2017 BRAINS TRUST
Helen Marcou – Bakehouse Studios, SLAM
Jacinta Parsons – ABC Local Radio
Kate Duncan - The Push
Lauren Taylor – RRR FM
Linda Bosidis – Mushroom Publishing
Anna Northeast, Jason Moore, Sally Mather & Vaughan Quinn from Corner Hotel